Geospatial Field Technician / Drone (UAS) Pilot (Pittsburgh)
Job Overview: This position is for independent and resourceful Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) pilots interested in Construction, Energy, and Telecommunication industry applications. Opportunities include working with our Environmental, Inspection, and Engineering Teams to provide a variety of deliverables to our clients.
Responsible for effective and efficient data collection using a variety of methods and gear:
- Still images and/or video of objects of interest using cameras and sensors mounted on multi-rotor drones.
- Collection of survey-grade data using GPS equipment and standard drone photogrammetry practices.
- Other methods as needed as the company grows into new areas.
For most jobs, if not all, we expect this role to be using some type of drone / sUAS as part of the data collection process. Candidates should be proficient in automated flight as well as manual flying around obstacles and structures. This position is expected to perform RPIC and VO responsibilities in a safe, consistent, and repeatable manner.
A candidate for this role must be willing to deploy to remote locations across West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, work extended hours independently or as a member of a small team with no direct supervision, and cross-train on multiple platforms.
Paying attention to detail, abiding by standard operating procedures (SOPs), professionalism, and adapting to unexpected changes and situations is a must.
NOTE: Travel to additional locations across the country could be required as the company grows.
This position will be approximately 75% field and 25% office based, but could periodically range as much as 50% in the office at times. Compensation is hourly based ranging from $32,000 – $50,000 based on experience.
- Perform topographic surveys using a combination of stationary scanning, drone photogrammetry (DJI, Sensefly, or other) and GPS equipment.
- Perform environmental inspections of pipelines using various multi-rotor sUAS. Includes various payloads operation; camera settings, lighting conditions, for RGB and thermal sensors.
- UAS assembly, flight planning, safety briefings, FAA airspace and airport tower coordination, checklists, and overall mission-readiness.
- Completion of flight logs and post mission documentation.
- Be responsible for the operation and maintenance of equipment including 4×4 truck, on-board inverters and generators for battery charging stations, and computer work stations.
- Pre-process and deliver collected data to our engineering and inspection teams using multiple software packages; evaluate data accuracy and sufficiency, and ensure deliverables meet client expectations and professional standards.
- Perform quality control checks of collected data to ensure accurate and quality data has been collected.
- Ability for potential long distance travel and weekend work.
- Must have a current FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot License.
- Candidate must have a valid driver’s license.
- High school diploma or equivalent plus 2 years of work experience.
- Ability to operate safely in remote terrain, sometimes in extreme heat and cold conditions.
- Ability and willingness to work with a high degree of safety and situational integrity.
- Ability to take direction and to perform with good attitude as part of a team in sometimes difficult field conditions.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively with members of a larger team to meet project objectives.
- Knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Office Suite programs, to include but not limited to Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Teams.
- Ability to work 40+ hrs. per week, with occasional weekend work and travel as needed.
- Must be able to pass a drug-screening test and background check.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Environmental Science, Natural Resources, related field, or two years of any combination of education, experience and training.
- Oil and Gas industry experience including relevant safety Training.
- Environmental and Regulatory Oil & Gas experience, including but not limited to environmental regulations, permitting and field compliance.
- Knowledge of FAA Part 107 waivers.
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Experience with GIS, mapmaking and field data collection skills.
- Experience with reviewing and interpreting construction drawings and as-builts for use during project planning, permitting and inspections.
PHYSICAL & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Willingness and ability to walk long distances if needed and drive for extended periods of time (often several hours per day) in a variety of weather conditions while serving field obligations.
- Willingness and ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time while working in an office environment, as needed.
- Ability to carry/lift 35-40lbs.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible office hours as well as travel out-of-state periodically and stay overnight near jobsite as project needs dictate.
- All required safety and other training required for the position will be provided by the Company.
RPG offers an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, 401(k) with company matching, profit sharing, and incentive bonus program. Salary is commensurate with experience & qualifications.